After a quick restock trip I have now soldered all the parts together.
I made the mistake of attaching the input / output jacks before realising I had missed the foot switch. This was easily fixed though.
One thing I found difficult was to determine the length of the connector cables to the jacks, dc source and the switch. This time I made them longer than necessary just to make it a bit easier to mount the components…
Next up is to drill the enclosure.
Also, I can’t decide if I should add a status LED or not….
After pouring over several potential veroboard layouts I’ve decided to go for a simple Bazz Fuss as my first project.
A quick search reveals endless variations and tweaks, but for this first version my plan is to build one of the very simplest, as seen below:
With the goal set I started out tonight by cutting down the board to the necessary size. I used a regular knife to trace out where the cuts should go, then simply snapped the board to the right dimensions.
If you think it looks bigger than the layout above that’s because I added 3 additional rows for drilling holes for the spacers that will secure the board in the pedal case.
Here’s another couple of shots with most of the components soldered in. I’m one capacitor short so I decided to stop here for tonight.
Let’s just get it out of the way, building your own pedals will probably never be cheaper than just buying them.
That is, unless you plan on building a lot of pedals. Economies of scale will likely never work in your favour, but if you stick with the hobby for a while I suspect you start to build up a supply of various components and tools, to the point where you can experiment with new builds with almost no additional investment.
Then it might just start to make economic sense…
Then again, I guess very few builders are into this stuff for pure economic reasons. I know I’m not. I do this (or I want to do this) simply because its fun. And educational.
My goal is to get to a level where I can experiment with effects that I dream up myself. I already have several ideas that I’ve been carrying around since I got into modular synthesis.
Hopefully this time around I’ll actually realise at least some of them!